District Enrollment and Demographic Data
District Enrollment: 1662
High School (9-12) Enrollment: 515 (AAA Classification)
Junior High School (6-8): Enrollment: 412
Elementary School (3-5): Enrollment: 345
Brown Primary School (PK-2): Enrollment: 390
African American 11.1%
Average Class Size
Elementary 19 to 1
Secondary 18 to 1
- S.I.S.D. has 171 professional teachers with an average experience of 12.9 years.
- 49.6% of the student population is economically disadvantaged.
- 2.7% of the student population is limited English proficient.
- District per pupil expenditures: $6,576.
- Tax Rate: $1.2540 per hundred.
District Programs and features
- College prep and vocational tech prep programs offered at the high school.
- Full athletic program.
- Full UIL extra-curricular program
- Full time professional school counselors at each campus.
- Library Resource Media Centers located at each campus.
- Local Area Computer Networks at each campus.
- Internet access at all campuses.
- Ever expanding use of technology in the classroom.
- Full range of special services programs: Gifted & Talented, honors programs, Advanced Placement (AP) courses at the high school, special education services, Section 504 programs, English as a Second Language (ESL) program, migrant services, compensatory education programs including Title I, and an academic alternative school.
The Community of Smithville
- Located 42 miles from Austin, 12 miles from Bastrop, 117 miles from San Antonio, and 118 miles from Houston.
- Located high on the banks of the beautiful Colorado River.
- Attractive community park located on the banks of the Colorado River.
- Within easy driving distance of colleges and universities including: University of Texas, Texas State University, Prairie View A&M University, Texas A&M University, St. Edwards University, Austin Community College, and Blinn Junior College.
- Buescher State Park is located near Smithville and Bastrop State Park is 12 miles away.
- A new community hospital with state-of-the-art medical services.
- Municipal airport with a lighted 4,000 foot runway.
- Moderate climate with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees (50 degree average in January and 84 degree average in July).
- Progressive community public library in a newly expanded and totally renovated facility.
- 21 Churches representing a wide variety of faiths.
- Low crime rate and a Texas Secretary of State recognized community policing program.
- Great people with a spirit of community pride.