Students at Brown Primary learned life skills during the week of Feb. 12-15 with the Great Kindness Challenge, a week devoted to promoting kindness where students practice kindness using a checklist and complete a random act of kindness.
Students were given lessons to work on the social skills of compassion, friendliness and kindness, said teacher and challenge lead Crystal Reese.
Teachers received a secret mission challenge at the beginning of the week when students received their weekly challenge worksheet. As students completed their challenges, they were given a heart which they signed and placed on the Kindness Tree in the hallway at Brown Primary.
According to their website, “at the heart of The Great Kindness Challenge is the simple belief that kindness is strength, and as an action is repeated, a habit is formed. As kindness becomes a habit, peace becomes possible.”
The week was also celebrated with dress up days. The themes were as follows:
• Monday: Kick into gear and help someone near - Wear different colored socks or shoes.
• Tuesday: Score points with kindness - Wear your favorite team shirt or jersey.
• Wednesday: Show some kindness and play with someone you have never played with - Wear red, pink or Valentine ’s Day attire.
• Thursday: Powered by Kindness - Wear your favorite superhero attire.
• Friday: Tigers win with kindness - Show your Tiger pride!